Sunday, September 23, 2007
881

Ah, the weekend's been going pretty well, can put yet another check on the list of things I want to do. Haha, no, the title of the post doesn't have anything to do with this so far. I'm talking about actually going to school on a Sunday just to play uh.. captain's ball and a bit of frisbee lol. It may not have been much, but still, for a person like me who has only exercised his brain and nothing more, it's quite a workout already.. haiz. I was quite surprised, about 13 people or so turned up. That's half the class would you believe it?!

And as a bonus, after that I went to watch 881 with my family. It was one of those rare, once in a blue moon occurrences so I was pretty happy about it. Unfortunately when they decided to watch at Vivo instead, I forgot that the timing also changed! Ah... and what a costly mistake that 10 min difference made - it burnt a 10 dollar hole in my pocket on taxi fare. =(

And while we're in the spirit of having rare occurrences, an even rarer one took place. I actually cried in a movie. >.> Yes, cried, not just teared. Like the last time I remember really crying cause of a show was way back in uh.. kindergarten or lower primary. (That time was worse though) This time the show was sad, but the last scene with the song, Last Breath, was just imba. Ahh just couldn't take it.

But in general the show was pretty interesting. It was funny, sad and ridiculous rolled into one, and really shed light on the getai culture in Singapore. The songs were great too, suits the show pretty well with even those that were written for the show being made to have a more retro feel with the lyrics using old or local terminology. (eg, see pai poh for SGH and Ang Teng (beh tao) for Clifford Pier). And it was really amusing that when the "Xian Gu" gave them 明珠之音 (voices of the Mingzhu Sisters), she really meant it, the songs were actually sung by the Mingzhu Sisters!

Haha, really should go watch if you understand Hokkien. If not, the Mandarin subtitles help (haha, my Hokkien's not very good either), but still it's only about 70% accurate due to limitations in translation.

To end off, I shall do a little complaining! Yes, the seats at Vivo were horrible. Third row from the front is way way way worse than that of Junction 8's, and almost all the seats, (third row onwards at least, I didn't check them all) were at a near 90 to about 85 degree angle! And they were still very hard, so you can't like slouch or sink into the seat to get a comfortable viewing angle, even though we took some empty seats toward the back half of the theatre. Also, I just read that shoujld stay for the end of the credits.. which we didn't.<>.<>Bahh... So if anyone knows what it is, please tag, thnx!