Thursday, December 27, 2007
Three straight days of going out

Christmas came early this year starting with the 24th followed by 2 further days of activities! It all began with Miki's party over at his place which though I still maintain is very far and ulu, turned out to be pretty fun lol. Got to play the board game version of Risk for the first time although we didn't manage to finish because we were too distracted by the Wii!!

Lol, Nintendo has really revolutionised the platform gaming system once again; while it's no hardcore gamer's dream, it really excels in being a party machine with it's quirky games like boxing and tennis. And the best part is that you can actually get physically tired playing lol, especially boxing!

But nevertheless, that didn't stop us from having a rather last minute decision to go cycling the next day at East Coast Park. It wasn't without disappointment though, as the initial 5 people who were on about it was all we got in the end. Haha, I think I should learn to get used to this. But at least they all turned up (thanks!) and since we were attempting to do the whole Park Connector Network loop, it probably was a good thing too - ensured that things didn't get too complicated.

I still remember talking to wl and mutu on msn that morning while hz and xy were on their way and getting held up by the mrt delays. The weather wasn't very good that morning and since we all live some distance away from each other and it is the monsoon season, we were giving conflicting reports on the weather at each of our places while trying to predict how the weather would be.

As it turned out, it stopped when we met up, rained while we ate lunch, paused when we started out, continued for a while and we cheonged to seek shelter at NSRCC. Fortunately, it only lasted a while and that was it. The rest of the day was just great, neither too hot nor humid. And it was filled with food heh.

At about 4.50 we arrived at Changi Village and stopped for erm... tea! Pity the good nasi lemak stall was closed and the guys settled for the Makansutra recommended stall instead. Bah. I think I tried it the last time we went P. Ubin, but this time it was disappointing. The rice was lumpy and lacking in flavour, and the utensils from the tray had ikan bilis, fried chicken flour bits which I choose to believe were from someone spilling food over rather than well... anything else.

Lol, after that was where the fun really started. The stretch along Changi Village to Pasir Ris was filled with relatively gradual slopes, humps and a few turns here and there, all great stuff after we paid 12 bucks for nice comfy bikes with suspension, smooth pedals and gears. (compared to the 5 dollar ones of the last time).

The route's quite fun actually, takes you to alot of funky places from industrial estates to HDB estates, ferry terminals (SAF one included, yes THE one that goes to Tekong) to MRT stations, military bases to shopping malls and of course, parks to beaches and reservoirs. I was a bit bored late last nite and didn't feel like sleeping so I went to Google Earth and did this:



Tadah, this is the approximate trail(twists and turns at housing estates not shown) we took, starting all the way at the bottom left and heading east. Google Earth says it's about 35 km long cause we didn't go the Bedok Park Connector, in which case we wouldn't be able to do the Siglap Park Connector if we did. Lol, we didn't know about the Bedok Park Connector then, but I think that's also how we escaped having to carry our bikes for a second time due to NParks, LTA and HDB being separate entities and thus resulting in 2 points along the trail not having ramps.

I can't remember exactly what time we started, but we ended at 8.10. Not bad, we somehow managed to nearly return our bikes on time despite how it seemed along the way lol. To end of the day, we had more food! Dinner at some hong kong cafe near the Macs. In a word, it sucked, really as mutu puts it, full of degen food which IMO wasn't really nice. Oh yes, nearly forgot, we also met wen hao who went in the morning with his friend. Haha, quite qiao, he was finishing when we were starting.

And finally there was mervin's Rwinds concert, CODA 3. Wasn't too bad though we were a bit late cause wl and I went to watch national treasure in the afternoon while the girls(hz, xy and their friend) went shopping lol. The show wasn't too bad either, not fantastic but still watchable. I'll give it about 3/5 stars lah. Haha, it was quite amusing too, wl and I just came from Borders, and one of the first few scenes was at Borders, and wow, do all Borders look the same.

So anyway, after the concert we (the 4 6f ppl + mervin) went for supper at... another hong kong cafe. This was the one at Marina Square, which reminds me, on prom nite the bloody security guard told us that it was closed when it was opened till 2..zz. Anyway, I tried the fish and chips which was ok, but the chips were crap. They were all soggy on the inside and already not very warm when it arrived.. Let's see.. what else.. right, the drinks!

HK Iced Milk Tea - 2.90
Teh - 1.50

-.- The first one is imported is it? Ice + the words HK cost me almost double the price... Bah. Oh, but the siew mai mervin ordered was not bad though..