Monday, November 26, 2007
Carl's Jr. - Beware the extra stuff.

Hmm.. A few days ago I blogged about how the service at Fish & Co. (Glasshouse) was fantastic. Today I'm here to blog about service once again. This time it's Carl's Jr. (Plaza Singapura) and it sucked. It sucked big time.

It wasn't that they were rude or can't be bothered or anything along those lines. In fact, when they realised that there was no more tea in their free flow of drinks, they offered to get me more. What really pissed me off was that they seemed to be serving the company rather than the consumers, which in my opinion probably brings them further from their objective of increasing revenue and profits.

Let me try to recount the conversation I had with the cashier:

Me: "1 Portobello mushroom combo please."
Cashier: "3 or 4 patties?"
Me: "o.O er... huh?"
Cashier: "Do you want 3 or 4 beef patties?"
Me: "err... what's the normal one?"
Cashier: "1"
Me: "-.- ok.. I'll have that"
Cashier: "ok, would you like criss cut fries or onion rings..?"
Me: *after vaguely remembering a similar situation from the last time* "I just want the combo that costs 11.80.."
Cashier: "ok, would you like to upsize your drink?"
Me: "No...(like drinks are free flow why would I need a bigger cup?!)"
Cashier: "Would you like to add bacon? It's 50 cents"
Me: "No.." *thinks* I'm starving already, will you just give me my food and stop trying to rip me off??!!

Another conversion that my friend had:
Cashier: "Would you like a large or regular drink?"
(The size of the drink in the standard combo is small.)

Seriously, I believe that not everyone eats at Carl's Jr. so often that they know what the standard combo is supposed to be like, so by offering these either or questions without actually informing the consumer of the implications (added cost + more food to finish) sounds a lot like cheating to me. Or at least it's not very ethical and not very smart in the long run cause it just pisses people off.

Service is a vital component of any company. Good service makes consumers happy, builds loyalty and keeps the company in business. Good service can make up for poor quality, but bad service single handedly destroys everything.