Monday, February 19, 2007
新年快乐!

Was supposed to do this flash card where there would be a dog/puppy trying all means to unsuccessfully wake up a little pig(let) to take over him in the new lunar year. In the end the dog/puppy would use a bunch of firecrackers which would finally work and then have some greeting message but I got a bit lazy and busy... Kk, new year, new beginning, I'll admit it's more lazy than busy but oh well, X'mas is 12 days long, CNY is 15. Maybe I'll get myself to do it later.

Anyway, 祝大家 身体健康、心想事成!and to those not celebrating the occasion, Happy Holidays! Lol, all in all it's a 5 day break starting from Take 5. Hmm.. maybe that's why they called it Take 5.. Anyway Take 5 was not too bad actually, despite doing stupid stuff like setting that record of having the most number of people eating MANDARIN oranges at the same time (how specific... <>.<>) and getting chased off from playing frisbee by the telematch people, it was still rather enjoyable. haha, the oranges were actually sweet!

Haha, finally got the chance to try that breathing in Helium gas thingy. Lol, sorry if anyone didn't manage to get a balloon (that's er... no one?) I think I took abt 10 or so... heh =/ Quite fun actually, almost everyone tried including Mr. Gabriel Tan and Ms. Low! Haha, got videos too.. heh.. But even so, there were still some ppl like *cough**cough* who refused to try.. Haiz. But well, er.. although there aren't really any side effects of doing so, I still don't encourage people who are having a long day from doing this. By the end of the day I had this tendency to talk like I had just inhaled Helium even though in actual fact, about 10 hours had passed since. <>.<>

I think I'm really becoming a typical Singaporean, everything also must complain. So here goes another rant. The prata house just opposite CCAB along Evans Road really isn't that fantastic. Curry aside, it's about the same as the one is school except for the prices. But still, we sat there for about 2 hours before someone suggested going to wen hao's house. No prizes for guessing who, but if you're from 6F and can't get it.. er... where have you been this 1 year + ?!?!?!!

Haiz.. damn ulu lah, that place (most places are 10 mins from the nearest MRT but his is 10 mins from the bus stop<>.<> heh..) but still, quite a lot of ppl went. Even Woo Han came by from soccer for like 5 mins before we all left. Oh and I realised that Wei is becoming more suan.. tsk.. Er... heh... v(,") lol..

Hmm.. what else to complain about... Oh yes, reunion dinner at Dragon Phoenix at Novotel. What can I say, the service sucked - the food was served wedding style but yet people were on their 4th dish and we were still on our 2nd. The music sucked - They played the disc like 3 times in 2 hours and the music is er... for those with an acquired taste. The condiments sucked - woops, sorry, what condiments? They didn't even have soya sauce. But they did have the saucers though. Put what? Vinegar arh? Haiz.. they were so much better at their small restaurant in River Valley last year. Cannot handle so many tables 就不要勉强 mah... <>.<>

But well, least ytd went to bai nian wasn't too bad... I finally learnt who's my 大姑 and 二姑! Yay. but er.. don't ask me how they're related to me, I really can't get these stuff. Everyone's auntie and uncle to me =/ Haha, but this year was good, I pigged out quite a bit... heheh. =D What?? It's the year of the pig mah, all in the spirit of things man... ;)

Despite everything though, this year's CNY seems to be pretty much just another holiday for me.. Just don't quite feel that festive joy around, and I've been stoning and lazing around at home. Argh.. and there's a stupid H3 chem test this fri... bah... 大吉大利。。

So here's some interesting stuff I found out from the net:

1. Contrary to popular suspicion, breathing in Helium has absolutely no side effects except when you breath in pure helium and deprive yourself of oxygen. And for all you muggers out there, here's the formulae:
Uk = (1/2) mv2 = (3/2)kT
where Uk = KE of gas,
m = Mass,
v = Velocity,
k = Boltzmann's constant = R/L (Gas constant divided by Avogadro's constant)
T = Temperature in Kelvin

Sub k = R/L into (1):
Uk = (1/2) mv2 = (3/2)RT/L

Rearranging, v = √{3[RT/(Lm)]}

And since f= v/λ, where f is frequency and λ is wavelength, when v increases, f increases => Pitch increases.

Thus since He has a smaller Mr than N(which makes up 78.1% of the atmosphere) the mass of the air being exhaled would be lighter, hence causing the speed of sound to be faster and the pitch increasing to produce a cartoonish voice. #Proven!

Yay, so since the school propagates being the Thinker, Leader, Pioneer, I shall be an idiot and ask:
Which of the following gases should you inhale to produce a deeper sounding (low pitch)voice:
a) Hydrogen
b) Chlorine
c) Argon
d) Bromine

Yep, have fun, if you need a periodic table check out http://www.webelements.com/

Oh, and as proof of my boredom, here's another bit from How Stuff Works about sounds and ghosts:

1.) Low frequency standing waves, abt say 18 Hz, can cause a person to feel nervous and discomfort which typically cause them to feel the place is haunted. It is also commonly found in places claimed to be haunted.
2. and uh.. "Reports of ghosts bearing the news of deaths or disasters were frequent in the Victorian era, but they seem to be less common today. Researchers have offered a couple of possible explanations for this drop-off in supernatural messengers....." "....Improvements in communication, like telephones and e-mail, have made it unnecessary for ghosts to intervene in human communication."

Lol.. talk about structural unemployment.. Bah, it's Chinese New Year, 大吉大利, enough of ghosts and unemployment, here's wishing one and all a very Happy Lunar New Year once again!

References: http://www.wikipedia.com/
http://science.howstuffworks.com/ghost.htm
http://science.howstuffworks.com/ghost1.htm
http://www.webelements.com/
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=556610