Another sporting moment
Let me first begin by letting off some steam:
I freaking hate hierarchies. It's a bloody caste system in disguise.
Ok, that's that, I've got to learn to take things in my stride if I'm going to be happy. Now on to some more happy news. Singapore has clinched a gold medal at the paralympics thanks to swimmer Yip Pin Xiu. And that's after the silver and 2 world records she set. Let's not forget also, the 2 bronzes which were amongst Singapore's first ever paralympic medals courtesy of equestrian Laurentia Tan.
Isn't it just wonderful that good things come one after another and seemingly all of a sudden, Singapore sports has broken new ground at the paralympics soon after doing so at the olympics. To these two heroines who overcame the odds, I salute them, though I apologise that prior to this, I had no clue as to who they were. But it is also at this point that I must say that the irony of it all saddens me.
Like the olympics, the paralympics is the elite sporting event for those with disabilities. I would be inclined to believe that despite the competition being within their class, the amount of effort these athletes put in to overcome their disabilities and achieve sporting success is clearly comparable to that of able bodied athletes. Yet despite this, there is no fanfare, not much cheers and let's face it, not equally enthusiastic support where money is of concern. (A gold medal clinches only $100 0001, that's considerable, but only 10% of the $1 million2 offered for an olympic gold).
Singapore prides itself in being a meritocratic society which recognises ability. Yet in this quest for excellence, have we been blinded by glory into celebrating selectively and coveting only what we cannot achieve?
1"The AAA incentives of S$100,000, S$50,000 and S$25,000 are respectively for gold, silver and bronze medal placings at the Paralympic Games individual events." - CNA
2"The largest award is $1 million, payable to the athlete who claims a gold medal at the Olympic Games" - SNOC

<< Home