Monday, June 04, 2007
The memories

It's been a long time since I last dropped by this place. So many things have happened that I just need to pen down so I don't forget. After all, things can change but the memories are for keeping as long as you can remember. So rewind back to what's probably been the best day of the year so far; rewind to the second last day of the second last week of May and the last week of the second term of the second year of JC. Ok, basically 24th May 2007, Thursday.

The weeks leading up to that day were terribly hectic. The sports season was reaching it's climax and the school was generally a buzz with many finals going on. For 5 of us though, namely Lock, Mervin, Miki, Wen Hao and I, it was a competition of another kind. Haha, kk, enough drama, it was the RJC-EDB Entrepreneurial Competition. We somehow managed to get past the first round despite our er... 4 day old concept and were piah-ing like shit to win something in the finals. At first there were 20 teams then 8 pulled out. Then 4 got into the finals and there were 3 prizes up for grabs and after coming so far you just want to win something.. and that brings me back to that fateful day. Turns out there was an RGS team too which dunno why was there and dunno how come was allowed to win third despite exceeding the initial budget of 10k by like a thousand times?

Still remember the shock and surprise we felt, the competition was very tough and we expected the rg team to just die cause they exceeded the budget and their percentage returns was crap..(Like invest 80 million for 5 years and make profits of 4 million a year<>.<>) So after the presentation, the P(we win smth) was about 0.8, but we didn't expect to encounter the P(we win smth rgs grp win third) which was like... 0.01? and we actually made it lol.

Maybe it wasn't that big a deal lah, but for a non-sports person like me, winning a trophy is like some rare event.. So yea, was terribly excited. Joke was that celebrations had to be held back cause the prize was due to come through giro or something... which I still haven't received =(

And another reason why it was a good day was cause we managed to catch the soccer finals held at the national stadium and we won too. Pretty significant really, it was one of the last few matches/events to be held at the Kallang National Stadium and it was the first time in 7 years or so that RJ won soccer. Final score was 1-0 with soccer powerhouse MJ as runners up. It was quite an impressionable moment if I may say, pity didn't have a picture of it.

We were trying to make our way to join the RJ supporters, choosing (fortunately) to take the long route and not cut through the MJ supporters when suddenly the ref. blew for full time. The contrast on the pitch was just astounding. You see MJ players just collapsing on the spot in disappointment and RJ players running high on adrenaline. The feeling from the sight was just weird.. so terribly mixed with empathy for both sides.

Well, more results came in during the post game and turns out that RJ won all the finals that day save for bowling boys. So everyone in class who had a competition that day won. And that feeling you get when everyone is happy for one reason or another.. just amazing. It's like for once you can be happy, be it for yourself or for others, and you can show it because everyone shares the joy with you. Simply wonderful.

Oh and in more firsts, we walked all the way from the stadium to Suntec City. That's like 3 MRT stops?! Talk about high/mad. But on a slightly darker note, I must confess that as much as I felt happy that they won, I didn't quite feel the euphoria that was in the air. Really strange, I don't quite get it. Then again, maybe I really do.