4th of July
Yeah, bring out those sparklers! This will be the second time I'm writing an entry about this day. But wait, I'm a pink i/c... fine "green card" holder. Green SAF card that is.
So what's the deal? Well, coincidentally, America's independence day is when my NS journey started 2 years ago when I trotted down to CMPB to do my pre-enlistment medical checkup. How ironical it is that the day Americans celebrate their freedom, on the other side of the world I began my journey of losing mine. Now I'm not going to discuss the value of my military service here, but you have to admit that regimentation does come with a reduction in personal freedom.
2 years on, this day reminds me of how much closer I am to regaining that freedom as my ORD date draws even closer. But with the other deadlines that coincide with that date, I'm suddenly not looking forward to it as much as I was a year ago.
I remember during the examination period in JC, our PE teacher told us that we would miss mugging our heads off for exams when we were in NS. We didn't believe him but he turned out to be right. Then some time ago, another teacher told us that when we're done with NS, we would miss it too. I shudder to think what the future holds haha, but hopefully this time it's just the human tendency to reminisce days gone by.
Well, this is turning out to be a longer entry than I had planned, but just one last reason for marking this day before I end. Today is the day I proudly went ahead to buy a Singapore product by a rather new and unknown company.
Called the Kube, it's an 18g, 23mm3 no frills mp3 player which packs quite a decent punch at a reasonable price. Sure, it has a couple of shortcomings like not having a keylock function and requires songs to be added via the microSD card reader (as opposed to the usb cable which is only for charging), but I can't help giving them credit for coming up with a simplistic product that does not come across as an inferior good amidst a market saturated with a whole spectrum of models and dominated by the iPod.


<< Home