Tuesday, September 15, 2009
There's no need for a title

I've wrote about school before, I've tried my hand at touchier issues too, but I typically make it a point not to blog about work. As they say, a blog, no matter how private it is, is still on the internet which is a public space. Well, a diary is a book in a very public world too but nevermind, I blog to share with whoever might drop by anyway. In some ways, I blog because I can speak without fear of boring people, I don't have to know who leaves upon the loading of the page. Yes, admittedly, I care more than I like to let on.

But anyways, after working in this place for a little over a year now, the dynamics of how we handled yesterday's unwelcomed excitement made it more welcomed than most other ones we've seen. To cut the story short since I still don't believe in blogging explicitly about work, it was 1 problem, 4 people, 1 phone call each to a helpful contact, a bit of luck, and 1 potential disaster of angry teachers and parents was averted.

People always curse NS for wasting their time, and I still grduge that it's setting me back by 2 years. Nonetheless, I will concede that I have learnt a couple of things.. and even more things that I now know I need to learn (although it is debatable that I could have learnt it even without NS). And one of these things is the effectiveness of a calm and methodical response to the situation and then reviewing what went wrong after. Funny how sometimes, even supposed role models can miss the point in the midst of it all and do the latter first, all while the fire still burns. Hopefully, this post will serve as a reminder for me if I end up in their position someday.

But while it draws to an end and I'm preparing to move on, I realise that the environment really plays a huge role. In school, especially the "good" ones, it's easy be be influenced by positive peer pressure to get you off your ass and do what needs to be done for your future.

Outside, it's mostly about pushing yourself. The vast array of agendas means that there's no overwhelming peer pressure to drive you in any direction. Moreover, with things not being equal in the reality, sometimes what's good enough for them may not be good enough for what you're capable of.

I like to merge the Adidas and Nike slogans - Impossible is nothing, Just do it. But to live up to it is a constant struggle.